Sunday, October 5, 2014

Small van for camping

Not sure at what point I decided I wanted a van to go camping with...but started looking at Vauxhall Combos - cheap and cheerful. Kept dithering too about whether I should get a worker van with no seats or with seats. However, t'other-halfs desire for a french brand brought me back round to looking at Berlingos - didn't have a choice, Pope Mobile it was to be!!

So sat down and had a sketch, having looked at some other random small van conversions on the interweb, I knew it had to be something that packed down well into the boot ( like a Amdro or a Ququq ) but a fraction of the cost.

I had to consider the seats, how they folded down - Berthas back seats folded twice but I wanted to use the height at the first fold to form the platform that would be slept on.

  • Moving front seats as forward as possible would allow 175cm of platform with the back door shut
  • The narrowest part would be 117cm wide (area where the back seats clip into upright position)
  • Height of the back seats folded would be about 36cm high
  • Needed something 36cm high to prop up the rest of platform
  • Platform needed to be folded into 3 to transport it in the boot when driving

No comments:

Post a Comment